The Vine Church community occupies the former St Michaels site with three existing heritage protected buildings, one of which is a 1850’s Edmund Blacket sandstone Church. Vine Church has a growing congregation exceeding their current capacity. The project respects the sites history and existing heritage, allowing the community to occupy the place in a wholly contemporary way. The proposal opens to the surrounding public domain to convey a strong sense of welcome – the open hand, awakening this historical site, transforming the physical environment to reflect the vibrancy of the community that occupies it. The process has involved fruitful community engagement, careful adaptation of the existing buildings, considered scale & staging to enable realisation.